GROUP ENGINEERING ESTIMATOR
MEL Aviation Ltd – Sudbury, Suffolk
The MEL Group are family run, with a realistic goal to be a £100 million a year business. We are a total engineering solution provider to the global aerospace and defence market and to industry in general.
An opportunity has arisen for a Group Engineering Estimator to join the team at MEL Aviation based in Sudbury, Suffolk.
The role is to provide a centre of excellence for estimating, tooling and labour associated with the manufacture of commercial and aerospace machined components and assemblies.
The role will provide co-ordination of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experienced mechanical engineer with an indentured apprenticeship, or the equivalent skills and experience
- Ability to read engineering drawings
- At least 5 years previous estimating experience (within an engineering and fabrication environment) Ideally an Estimator within a multi discipline manufacturing environment, specialising in high precision components
- Familiar with manufacturing processes, raw material specifications and costing methodologies
- Exceptional commercial awareness
- Receive multiple packs of engineering drawings and estimate labour cost for high precision components using CNC turning, CNC milling, including 5 axis, grinding, fabrications, welding (including TIG, MIG, and ARC), brasing. Using materials Steel, Aluminium, Titanium, Nickel Alloys, Plastics and Castings in a timely manner to meet quote deadlines
- Ability to source/quote for all types of plating and paint finish and create bill of materials where none exists
- Liaise effectively with customers throughout each project, maintaining the MEL Group’s reputation for commitment and professionalism
- To identify opportunities for increased cost effectiveness
- Plan, organise and accurately monitor workload to meet strict deadlines
PERSONAL SKILLS / ATTRIBUTES:
- Proven attained professional written and verbal communication skills
- Planning and organisational skills – ability to work to strict deadlines
- Excellent team worker, with the ability and self-discipline to work alone effectively
- Able to retain commercial awareness
- Maintains a professional attitude and thrives by keeping calm and controlled when working in
demanding and pressurised environments
- Adaptable and flexible in approach to change
- A proactive decision maker with established problem solving skills
- Ability to use conceptual thinking and awareness to generate new ideas
- Highly driven, self-motivated and focused on achieving best possible results
- Meticulous attention to detail, methodical approach to work ensuring accuracy at all times
- Exceptional working knowledge of EXCEL
- Analytical skills
- Confident and honest approach, with a positive attitude to customer service (both internal and external customers)
- Excellent level of mathematical skills
Dependent on skills and relevant experience
This is a permanent role, Monday to Friday, working 40 hours per week with a daily 1-hour lunch break.
In return, you will have the support to develop and grow within an ever-expanding company, with benefits such as 23 days holiday plus bank holidays, pension scheme and free parking.